Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Telemarketing - a field guide

As I got the fourth phone call in a week from a telecommunications company wanting me to switch or upgrade, I sighed with frustration. As someone who has managed telemarketing campaigns, and who has benefited from excellent service calls, I know that telemarketing can be positive and profitable - in terms of sales and in terms of enhancing the relationship between company and customers.

So why are telemarketing calls so annoying?

1 - the caller doesn't know who I am or the relationship I have with the organization. Seriously - how does Rogers, who owns Fido, not know that I have cell phone service with Fido? How is it that my fairly simple name get mispronounced almost every time?

Companies track purchase behaviour and a multitude of other details about their clients. Phonetic pronunciation of names and tracking the comments of the customer are absolute requirements for any company undertaking telemarketing. Please acknowledge that I do business with you and that it's valued.

2 - the caller isn't offering something relevant to me. Why switch phone service when the costs and services are identical? Want me to change to your service? Offer something significantly better than what I currently have. Why did you think I'd want tickets to the circus? Is my name from a list of people who have supported a particular charity or are you cold calling from the phone book?

3 - the caller doesn't know the details of what they are offering. So I am interested in getting a subscription to the dance series. Is that ballet in tutus or contemporary dress? The caller had no idea.

Callers need to know as many details of the business as possible and know how to quickly find answers to customer questions. Small details really do make or break the deal.

4 - the caller doesn't ask me anything about my experience with the company. I don't want to listen about you - I want to talk about me and how I experience your company. Callers representing the company are contacting current and potential clients - it's an amazing opportunity to advocate for the company and collect quick feedback on brand awareness and customer satisfaction.

Telemarketing is as much a Public Relations activity as a Sales activity. Use it wisely to carefully promote your message and collect important information from your customer base.

No comments: